Friday, August 28, 2009

The 21st Century mum


The morning of last Saturday is one I will not forget in a long time to come. When I set out of the house, I never had an inkling of what to expect from the meeting I was going for. Some days before, I got a call from Adebola Williams of Future Awards concerning the meeting, yet I could not figure out what to expect from Oby Ezekwesili, World Bank vice president for the Africa region, who called for the informal meeting.


Since I was unsure of what to expect, I looked forward to the meeting with great expectation and curiosity. The meeting was scheduled for 8.30 am, but did not begin until 9.30.
When I arrived the Civic Centre, it was few minutes past eight. Uche Unaji of Ouch, the Igwe of style, as he is fondly called, with Dele Odufuye, were at the lobby waiting for the others to come. “We are the early birds,” Ouch said, as a way of welcome. “We arrived before those who live on the Island,” he added. “Yes, that’s true. It was difficult getting a place to park,” I answered. We walked back into the meeting room together just before Oby walked into the room.


“I am happy to be with you all,” she said, as she settled into a seat away from the high table, a sign of humility I suppose or she simply wanted us to feel free interacting with her. She told us how much she looked forward to meeting the 2009 winners of the Future Awards and how elated she was about the award. But what I found striking about Oby as she spoke that morning was her poise, humility and the fact that she exuded life.


I saw in her a woman who is in touch with this generation. She understands the needs of this generation and she feels its pulse. She knows the old’ school music, she knows the latest music, she tweets, as she is even on Facebook. She is a part of the Facebook and Twitter generation, making her is a 21st Century mum!


“I am so excited about your generation. No matter what people say, I am always happy about the opportunities of your generation. Many of you would have fallen by the way side but you choose not to. I am happy to know that you are by no means held back by any region. You are a citizen of the world and you are able to set a standard of excellence for yourself,” she declared.
“We are on the move,” she stated with a sting of pride, that she considered herself lucky to be a part of a generation that is resilient and internet savvy. “Let nothing stop you, you can rule the world. I want to do better than I have done; whatever you think I have done should be your start-off point. You must destroy every stereotype,” she charged.


As expected, she had a word for everyone, as she joked about her sons being good dancers, and however expressing her joy over Mosun Umoru’s interest in agriculture. She is a woman who believes strongly that agriculture has the propensity to grow the economy more than any other sector, and it will be a good way in tackling poverty in a continent that is still very agrarian. Of course, Obi never failed to let us into her private dream.
“One of the dreams,” she revealed with a giggle, “I have is to see the Nigerian fashion industry grow. In it, I can see an industry that can rule the world. The finesse of Nigerian designers is great. Nothing stops them from aspiring to becoming well known labels like Christian Dior, Armani, Gucci, among others.”


Undoubtedly, those words were for Ouch who expressed his displeasure about the ban on the importation of textiles. Oby’s last words were really striking and like a mother who understood needs of the internet generation and the tendency for it to be a copycat, she did not fail to highlight the importance of self discovery.


“In all of you, there is something deposited in you that is great. Share knowledge with one another, dig deep into yourself and discover what you have on the inside. In Nigeria, we don’t have the capacity to share but what we don’t know is that when we share knowledge it may trigger something in someone else that will be helpful,” she disclosed.
What I would have loved to ask Oby that morning was how she manage in checking her Facebook and Tweet, but Emili asked when she said: “I am sure someone updates them for you.” A statement Oby could not refute!

No comments: